Landrover Discovery 2 Metropolis 4.0 V8 - Top Hat Lined Engine
- Land Rover Key Data
- Country UK
- Colour Black
- Year 2002
- Driving RHD
- Mileage (miles) 97000
- Gearbox Manual
- Fuel Type Petrol
- Engine Size V8 Petrol
- Condition Good For Year
- Warranty No
- Seller Private
- Part Exchange No
Here is my Land Rover Discovery 2 Metropolis V8 which benefits from not only being one of the rarer Discovery’s being in the Metropolis trim, but being this V8, it benefits from having all the engine work you will need to keep enjoying this for many years to come. This was my plan; however a change in circumstances means that this is up for sale.
I bought this 3 years ago and after a short while, unfortunately I was presented with the ever infamous signs of head gasket failure. However upon taking the heads it was recommended that it could be the fault of the liners. Not one to mess around, the engine was removed, dismantled and taken to Dom at TVR Power.
Below is a list of the work and parts that have been installed in my ownership:
– Block was cleaned and then top hat lined.
– Cylinder heads – skim, new valves, springs and seals replaced and then pressure tested.
– Pistons and rods were ultra sonically cleaned and new rings and shells installed
– Crank cleaned and lapped
– New upgraded Oil pump
– Kent Cam H180 installed with new cam bearings
– Timing assembly replaced
– New Cam followers
– All new gaskets and seals everywhere. Nothing was reused.
– New coolant expansion tank and pipework
– Radiator pressure tested and flushed
– Coolant temp sensor replaced
– Lower temp thermostat installed
– New spark plugs (Magnecor leads were already installed)
– Exhaust new from headers back including the cats. Still have the original cats, but, well this was a garage trying to fault find which will be explained further down!
– All 4 O2 sensors replaced
– Good used Inlet upper plenum replaced due to LPG installed.
– New Battery
Steering and suspension:
– New steering UJ installed
– New Power steering hoses installed
– Rear is on air and has just received two new Dunlop air bags
– 5 x Range Rover L322 19 inch alloys refurbished in black with new centre caps
– The headlining has been recently replaced and at the same time, both sunroofs were replaced with refurbished units and sealed. These would work if new motors were installed but personally I wasn’t that bothered by it.
– Replacement Sat nav
– Dashboard illumination lights replaced and changed to LED
Private Plate is included with the sale as it goes with the car, V8 Metropolis Limited Edition.
I have removed the LPG kit on this, however the tank and the pipework is still installed ( This was next on the list to be removed) so if you would like to take the injectors etc then more than happy to chuck it in with the sale.
As I mentioned above with the catalytic converters, I left the car with a Land Rover specialist garage who whilst coding in the new airbags attempted to put this through the MOT. It subsequently failed 3 times on emissions, hence the new cats and O2 sensors. After the 3rd attempt, I called it a day with them and found the O2 sensors installed were incorrect. Once this was sorted, emissions were spot on and passed it’s MOT successfully and legitimately.
Points to note:
– Light wear to drivers seat
– Small amount of rust to window frames
– Crack to front bumper, not very noticeable but thought I should mention it.
If you would like to know more, more than happy to chat through it all and send additional pictures, videos etc